Monday 10 November 2008

Safety first with Solar's Lead Clips

Hi everyone. I managed a few nights out last week, and had a chance to try out the new Solar Safety Lead Clips for the first time. I was confronted with some big weed beds at the lake I was fishing – you know, the stuff which is top to bottom in the summer months and breaks off in the autumn, causing you all kinds of problems if you’re not careful.
The weather was real cold for the first few days and I knew it was going to affect the carp, keeping them huddled around safe areas like weed. I therefore wanted to fish as close to it as I could. I couldn’t actually fish directly into it as it was so thick, but after a bit of searching with the plumbing rod I found some nice firm bits of bottom close by.
As soon as the weather changed for the better, I was into my first fish. As expected, it managed to find the sanctuary of the weed, but with some steady pressure, in she came. It was nice to see the Solar clip stay firmly attached to the swivel, courtesy of the little insert, rather than slip down the line and cause me problems. With steady pressure, the fish was soon beaten, weighing in at 29lb 12oz. It was also good to see the lead stay on the clip thanks to its extended arm as I’m not a fan of dumping leads every time I fish in weed.
Further success was just around the corner on the same rod, with another nice mirror of 28lb 12oz coming the next day. Once again I had no problem whatsoever with gliding her through the weed so I’ll certainly be putting the clips to further use this coming week. I’ll let you know how I get on.
Crowy

No comments: