Saturday 8 November 2008

new PB common for Steve


Seven days in swim 19 at Rainbow hardly seemed to be an exciting prospect, after all it has been my least productive of all the swims I have fished there. But as ever anything is possible at this fantastic water! I took the left side of the swim as my friend Gary Hillson was on his first trip to the lake and as the right side is normally more productive, I figured it was best to let him have that sider. It proved to be the case when on the Sunday morning he landed two carp of 20lb and 53lb, both commons and the latter being his second biggest common ever. We were both using the Club Mix, with single 20mm hook baits over a scattering of 18mm freebies and Club Mix 365 pellets. My side of the swim was slower to get started (as expected) but on the Monday I landed a couple of commons of 29lb and 37lb. From then on the action started to increase and the more bait we put in, the more action we received! As I've found before, the Rainbow Carp really do love the Club Mix - more than any other bait I would say. The right side was really doing the business for Gary with several more fish up to 46lb. But although I was getting less action, the quality of the fish was increasing and I landed three more fish, a mirror of 47lb 12oz and then two commons of 47lb 12oz and 50lb 8oz. But the best was saved until last, when at 2am on the Saturday morning, just hours before packing up, I latched in to something that felt a lot heavier than the rest! After a really good battle, Joan slipped the net under what was obviously a very large common. We weighed the fish at 67lb 12oz - a personal best by some margin and my long-awaited first 60lb+ common. The Club Mix has done wonders for my results ever since I first used it, but it seems to just get better and better, producing three 30kg carp for me this year - what a bait!!!
Cheers Steve

No comments: