Friday 20 August 2010

New Weed Effect range

Having been a user of other hooklinks for many years now, I’ll admit I was a bit reluctant to change over to the new Weed Effect range that’s been recently released by Solar. When Locky sent me through the samples though I liked the look of them, and during a recent trip to Grenville Lake in Cambridgeshire I decided to have a go with them for the first time.

I was invited to the lake as a guest of the owner for a feature in Carpworld magazine, and I had 40 hours ahead of me. Knowing the lake was quite weedy I stripped down my rods to the bare essentials, then attached one of the new Leadcore Looped leaders, followed by a lead clip and finally one of the ready-tied Weed Effect hooklinks. I completed the set up with a 3oz Weed Effect lead. The whole lot looked liked a ball of weed it was that well camouflaged, and I’ll admit I wasn’t that sure about it at first so I decided to try it on just the two rods to begin with to feel my way in. The other rod I kept my regular set-up on.

During the night I had four takes on the Weed Effect rods which obviously caught my attention. One of these rods was fished over a heavy area of Club Mix 20mm freezer bait, whilst the other was on a single Top Banana, so it may have been something to do with the strategy which produced the takes, rather than just the end tackle camouflage, but it was certainly an interesting first-time result.

20 hours into the session I moved swim to where I’d seen a lot of fish showing. My original swim had not produced a fish during daylight hours and I fancied having a go somewhere else as it was a short and sweet trip. I ended up with just the one fish during the remainder of the trip, a 32lb mirror, and interestingly, that fish came on one of the rods with the Weed Effect set-up on.

It’s still early days for me to say that the Weed Effect range conclusively catches you more fish than with other simpler set-ups, but with me having all of my takes on the range during my first time out with it, thus far it certainly gets a massive thumbs up from me. I’ll keep you posted on how I progress.
Simon Crow

2 comments:

SolarEq said...

The catched fish is just .. woww!!
I love fishing and always go for that in my free time.

Carp Fishing said...

Great report and photos, an enjoyable read all round. Nice to see you posting again
I love carp fishing and your blog is fabulous and great and very informative for who intrusting in fishing. I really enjoy your posts keep it up and I am waiting for more pictures keep it up and thanks for sharing.