Tuesday 30 December 2008

Picking & choosing

There’s times when I just go fishing whatever the weather, but I must say that between the end of December and the end of February, I‘m getting more and more selective. Without question, the one kind of weather which really gets me ’up’ for a trip out between these dates is the arrival of a low front following a prolonged bout of high. Usually you’ll see an increase in temperature from sub-zero or even 3s and 4s, to almost double figures. This is a great window period, and you’ll usually witness strong wind blowing from the south or south west at the same time. The wind is likely to be quite high in the trees rather than low to the water, but there’ll still be a good ripple on the surface which will stir the fish up.
For some reason, in the UK we don’t tend to get many direct westerlies in the winter months, but when they do arrive along with a bout of low, then all the better and it‘s all systems go. This kind of weather has been very kind to me, and whenever such a front arrives, the lads in the Carp-Talk office know that the following week is sure to see an increase in catch reports on the news desk.

Whilst warmer winds are certainly much better, I’m also confident fishing into any really strong wind in January, especially if I’ve not been able to get out much and one arrives when I have a few days free. Even those from the north and east which usually have a very cold feel to them at this time of the year can be productive, especially when they are blustery and almost gale-like. It’s usually a case of ‘batten down the hatches’ and get hidden in the bivvy when they arrive, but they are most certainly much better to be out in than a really still windless bout of high pressure. Prolonged periods of sub-zero temperatures usually sees the lakes with a lid on (depending on how early or late into winter we are). When they eventually start to defrost, I also like to go at least a couple of days following the complete defrosting. It always takes a day or two for the ice to completely mix in the water and I suspect this is one of the reasons why during a defrost I’ve never really had much success.

Another weather condition which has been kind to me in the winter months is when it’s raining. I’ve had some lovely fish during rain storms in January and February, even those which have come with biting cold winds from the east and north. Shallow water spots have always been the areas that I’ve caught from during these periods, perhaps the reason for this being that the fish have come up from the deeper water to investigate what the noise on the surface is, or possibly the rain brings with it an attractive taste or feeling to the water which is better realised by the fish when they visit the shallower areas where it is likely to be mixed quicker.
One thing I can most definitely say with confidence is that the days in winter have been better than the nights at the majority of the venues I have fished. Quite why this is so I can’t say, but whenever the weather looks right and I’ve a spare day then out on the bank is where you will find me. The period between 12.30pm and 2.30pm has been especially kind to me at plenty of different UK waters and I know that I’m not the only angler who has experienced this obvious winter feeding instinct.


It all depends how much time you have available to you if you want to go to the lengths of trying to pick and choose when to go. It might also be down to how resilient you are and what exactly you want out of your fishing. Just being out on a cold January day and seeing the sun rise and set is memorable in itself; or seeing a snow storm arrive and turn everything white over-night: simply breath-taking moments in themselves.
Happy fishing.
Crowy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!